–Joaquín is an SEO and PPC expert, working as a “digital hippy” for Lacomuna, a community of freelancers in Mexico. You can find him on Twitter and on his personal website, where he writes about digital marketing related topics.
1. Which are the main advantages that you find by working remotely?
I have been working away from my family for a couple of years. Working remotely means I can come back to be with them whenever I please.
2. Do you think you have disadvantages or that you’re missing something by working remotely?
I do not think so. I work remotely only some times of the year. Right now I am not travelling so I actually have a routine of going to the office every day.
3. From which cities or countries have you worked since you have become remote? Which has been your favorite one?
I have been all across Latin America. My favourite place to work was Barichara, a small town in Colombia. They told me they usually film there telenovelas and movies when they want to represent the ‘old’ Colombia.
4. From which type of place do you prefer to work from? Coworking spaces, coffee shops or others? Do you have any specific place?
I love to work in offices with good vibe. Because I like to have a quiet environment & good company around.
I am not a fan of working in coffee shops where there are people who are not working.
5. Which places would you like to travel to -from where you would enjoy and work from- as a remote worker?
I would like to discover the Polynesia and Japan.
6. What would you say to the companies that don’t believe on hiring employees who work remotely?
It is not about believing when you are good at setting goals and tracking results.
However, not everything can be done remotely.
7. Which tools do you use to work remotely?
Slack is our office, Google Drive is our server, Trello is our project management tool and Workflowy is my personal assistant.
8. How do you manage your business and taxes as remote working professional?
I live most of the time in Germany, so I pay taxes in Germany.
9. What advice would you give to people looking to work remotely?
Be nice in every email because that is usually the only impression about your personality people/your clients will get.
Keep in contact with the people you care about.