If you’ve recently moved from an office to a home workspace, you’re not alone.
Between quarantine and the pandemic, remote working is the new normal. But working from home can get complicated. It’s harder to maintain boundaries. And if you can’t separate work from rest, you’ll spend the entire day in stress and anxiety.
To avoid this, you need to set up a separate work area. All you need is a desk, a chair, and your laptop. Try not to eat or lounge in this area, and don’t work in the rest of the house. That will help your brain compartmentalize while you work from home.
When it comes to office furniture having the right desk is essential. A comfortable piece can get you in a productive mental space. So, how can you pick the best office desk to work from home?
How to select an office desk
There are many factors to keep in mind when you pick out a desk.
The first is size. Placing a bulky desk in the middle of a room can make it feel cramped. Just because you’re working from home now doesn’t mean you need a replicate of your office desk.
Also, very few people set aside an entire room for a home office. Chances are you just want to set up a station in some corner near a window. If so, you’ll want a design that goes with the aesthetic of the room. And doesn’t stand out or get in the way when you’re not using it.
Whether you pick a bold color or a neutral tone is up to you. It depends greatly on the color scheme of the room. Generally, wooden textures are a safe bet. You can pick a darker tone or a lighter varnish depending on your tastes.
Extra space and storage
Additionally, keep in mind how much storage space you need. You may need to set up shelves and cabinets next to your table. Other desks come with inbuilt storage space. If you only need a little storage space, look into desks that do.
1) Coavas Simple Folding Laptop Table for Home Office
The Coavas Simple Folding Laptop Table is made of textured MDF and comes in a grained brown color. It’s a simple and sturdy table that you can place wherever you want. The design is multipurpose, so it won’t look out of place when you’re not using it.
Dimensions: 39.4 x 19.7 x 28.3 inches
- The table is foldable, and you only need to open the frame to set it up
- No need to assemble
- It is extremely portable which is a huge plus if you need to move your work station around during the day
- Additionally, you can set it up when you need to work and pack it away once you’re done
- The top surface is waterproof and doesn’t damage
- The small size makes it perfect for an apartment or flat
- Low-priced and excellent value for money
- The table itself is multipurpose and can be used as an office table, study table, or side table
- It isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as other options
2) DYH Vintage Wood and Metal Writing Desk
This espresso finish wooden design is sleek and modern. The DYH Vintage Wood and Metal Writing Desk is 55 inches long with a sturdy finish and clean aesthetic. You can place it against any wall. Additionally, the U-shaped base gives it a minimalist and open look.
Dimensions: 29.5” H x 55.1” W x 23.6” D inch
- It comes with a 30-day refund and 12-month warranty
- The smooth wood grain detail fits seamlessly into any space
- With its simple design, it won’t clutter your room
- Easy to assemble and put together
- EVA pads on the feet of the desk protect your floors from scratches
- You can make adjustments to add a keyboard tray
- The top surface is waterproof and scratch-free, so it lasts long-term
- Maximum interior leg space thanks to well designed u-shaped legs
- It is made of MDF and wood grain and is not solid wood
- Only offers limited desk space so it can get cluttered
3) FEZIBO Height Adjustable Electric Standing Desk
If you want to stand apart from the crowd, the FEZIBO Height Adjustable Electric Standing Desk is for you. A lot of people prefer standing desks for their workspace. The adjustable level means you can shift between sitting and standing during your day.
One benefit of the standing desk is that it allows you to move while you work. So you’re not stuck to your chair for a nine-hour workday. Another aspect to consider is that remote working means a lot of time spent online. With presentations and meetings set over video calls, having a standing desk allows you to simulate a podium feeling.
- The electric motor that has four preset height options
- Large workspace available
- Cable tray and pull out drawer options
- Easy to assemble packaging comes in two sections
- Not suitable for people with back or joint pain
4) GreenForest L Shaped Desk with Moveable Shelf
Many people prefer the L-shaped desk because it offers maximum desk space. This design comes with an adjustable shelf. However, it also takes up a lot of space, so you’ll need to find an area to set it up.
- A stable design that provides multiple work stations
- Adjustable storage space
- Requires a lot of space to set up
5) Mr IRONSTONE L-Shaped 50.8″ Computer Corner Desk
Another great L-shaped desk option made of a white marble top surface.
- Easy to assemble
- Made of high-quality MDF board and metal frame
- Plenty of legroom and storage space
- Space needed to set up
6) AmazonBasics Gaming Computer Desk
This desk is multipurpose and can be used for working or as a gaming desk. Its main feature is it provides a lot of storage area.
- Modern k-leg design for stability
- Multiple storage compartments for controllers, headphones, speakers and drink cup
- Durable carbon laminate surface
- Limited desk space
7) Fru L Shaped Computer Desk with Keyboard Tray
The Fru L Shaped Computer Desk is made of eco-friendly wooden boards. This sleek, black design is perfect for your home office.
- Multiple table surfaces
- Sturdy frame and X-legs ensure stability
- Comes with a one year warranty
- Space needed to set up
All desks in our list above are great when creating a workplace at home. Carefully study the pros and section of each to select the best home office desk.
If you found this post useful, you’ll also like:
- The Best Ergonomic Chairs for your Home Office
- The New Work From Home Worker Checklist: Must Do’s (& Dont’s) When you Start Working from Home
- Remote Work Trends for 2020: The Present & Future of Remote Work [Updated]
- How to Overcome Communication Challenges When Working Remotely
- Digital Nomad Gear & Gadgets for your Packing List
- The Best Travel Backpacks for Digital Nomads
- Best International Travel Insurance Plans For Digital Nomads
- The Best International Health Insurance Plans for Digital Nomads
Disclosure: Any of the links on Remoters.net are affiliate links from which we receive a commission from sales of certain items. We also participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com or endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.