Job Published on: September 18th, 2020
Available to applicants based in Country(ies): Germany
Our missionOur company mission is to map the internet’s attention flows and create transparency about how society assigns credibility to information, people and institutions
What we're working onWe are building an influence algorithm. In other words, we are trying to find ways to describe groups of people mathematically. Many tried and failed before. But we think we can make it work. Our core hypothesis is that influence can be quantified by tracking attention flows. In order to do that, we ingest data streams from multiple sources (we started with Twitter and are now indexing podcasts and soon more). We then cross-reference these datasets in an attempt to continuously improve the accuracy of our algorithm. The accuracy of our work is being verified by members of the groups that we aim to describe. We publish our results in real-time and there are thousands of people already using our scores. It is hard to verify when we are right. But it is very easy to tell when we are wrong. This short feedback loop puts us in a unique position to work on problems that might be much harder or impossible to solve somewhere else.
Work setupWe are a small, VC-funded startup. We are a remote-first team. Most of the team is based in Europe (Berlin, London). You can make your own hours, but everybody is expected to be online during office hours in CET. We try to meet in person and work together for several days at least every 3 months. Other than that the company ‘lives’ in Slack, Notion and other tools enabling effective communication. The job is full time permanent. If you work from Germany, you will need a German work permit and you will get an employment contract, if you work from somewhere else in the world, you will work as a freelancer, and need to fulfill the legal requirements for freelancing in your country. If you work from Berlin, you can work from our Berlin office, located in Mitte.
About this roleYou will be in charge of the development of the entire stack of hive.one (It is an application built on top of our API with a few additional features). hive.one is built using Next.js for the view layer, Node.js for the back-end and PostgreSQL for the database. You will work closely with the CEO and our (soon to be hired) interface designer to implement new features and ways for our users to interact with and understand our data. You will need to be very self-sufficient as you will mostly be solving problems by yourself but you will be able to lean on the dev team if needed.
- Experience with React or another framework (Vue, Svelte)
- Experience with Node, Webpack, Babel
- You know how & when to leave the confines of something like
- Familiarity with testing frameworks such as mocha/jest and Cypress
- A self starter - You can come up with ideas and implement them yourself
- At least one year of relevant working experience
- You've used hive.one before and are a user - preferably we are looking for someone who wants to solve their own problems
- Interest in Bitcoin and the Crypto ecosystem
Required Character Traits
- You ship great code 🚀
- You can go from idea to production in a relatively short time whilst still keeping code quality high
- You write testable and tested code
- Independent thinking/problem solver
- You are able to independently think about problems and how best to tackle them
- You can put yourself in our users' shoes, listen to their problems and understand what is causing their problems
- Good written communicator
Don't apply if
- You get defensive about your ideas
- You need somebody else to organize your work
- You'd rather not talk to people
Do apply if
- You use precise language and you insist that others do too
- You are happy to drop an idea if circumstances have changed and it's no longer the best solution
- You care about the tiny details (Performance, A11Y etc.)
Interested? Apply now!
Please apply on our job board.
Disclaimer: Remoters posts job listings for the convenience of job seekers. Remoters does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. Remoters explicitly makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. Read Remoters full disclaimer here.