Senior Marketing Strategist in UpBuild
Job Published on: July 9th, 2019
- Intentional Workload: Senior Marketing Strategists are capped at 4 clients (that’s 4, not 40). We want you to be able to focus on your clients intensely for the sake of their success and your own sanity.
- Control Your Destiny: We vote on every prospective client before we ever send out a proposal. Ensuring that the whole team thinks there’s a good mutual fit and is stoked about every client we engage with is a win-win; for the team and our clients.
- A Distributed Team: We’re 100% remote, which means you can work from wherever you work best and be part of a natively digital team (at this time, we’re only able to hire people who are eligible for full-time employment in the United States, although we hope to change that at some point in the future).
- Build a Better Company: We’re shamelessly idealistic. At UpBuild, you’ll get to be a part of changing what it means to work at a marketing agency.
About the PositionSenior Marketing Strategists have an extremely important role to play in UpBuild’s success. Each Senior Marketing Strategist:
- works independently, but is never in it alone — we call ourselves a team for a reason;
- is the point person on 3 to 4 client accounts, which means they:
- are responsible for client communication and satisfaction,
- own most of the day-to-day work,
- work with the Vice President of Strategy and/or the Senior Team Lead to plan overall direction on accounts, and
- delegate tasks to supporting team members and provide them with thoughtful direction and feedback
- brings in-depth expertise in SEO, analytics, and conversion rate optimization to the organization
- thinks creatively and critically to make their deliverables the best they can be and to delight their clients;
- contributes to UpBuild’s thought leadership in the space through blogging, tool development, webinars, public speaking, and/or other comparable initiatives;
- is a vital part of the UpBuild team, providing support and collaborating with other Senior Marketing Strategists;
- spends time learning, independently and with the UpBuild team, taking classes, and attending conferences and webinars;
- may need to travel (paid by us, of course) a few times per year for client visits and/or company retreats;
- likes the sound of a $60k to $70k starting annual salary range.
About YouAs someone who could excel in this position, you
- are excited about the potential of joining an already successful startup and helping it grow into its next chapter;
- take extreme pride in your work and thrive in an environment that recognizes your contributions;
- are intrinsically motivated to help others do well (both clients and team members);
- consider yourself a shameless idealist (everyone at UpBuild is) and want to spend your days working on something that matters, with people who care about it;
- want to work for an organization that values work-life balance and positive company culture (not just one that pays lip service to the idea by talking about it a lot) and are excited about the challenges of joining a distributed team;
- have read through UpBuild’s core values and are stoked to start using them in your day-to-day decision making.
Your ExperienceOver the course of your career, you
- have worked in SEO for 3 years or more, preferably with at least some of that time spent in an agency setting;
- have proven expertise in our core disciplines: analytics and SEO. Preferably, you also have experience in the complementary discipline of CRO;
- have a demonstrated knowledge of web technology including most of the below:
- Website or web app development using major CMS platforms (e.g. WordPress, Drupal, Magento, Shopify)
- Basic server-side scripting (e.g. PHP, Python)
- have a working understanding of how websites are built and function (HTML, CSS, information architecture, etc);
- can explain to a non-developer what the building blocks of a website are, how indexable content is delivered to a search bot or human website user, what cookies are, and how analytics data is collected, etc.
- are proficient in using:
- Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, & Search Console;
- Screaming Frog;
- Spreadsheets (doesn’t have to be Excel, we use Google Docs for everything)
- SEO tools (such as Moz, SEMRush, Majestic, Raven, Ahrefs — everyone uses different tools in different ways, but you should understand what these tools are and how to use them to do what you need to do);
- have experience speaking at public events, writing blog posts, and/or finding unique and creative ways to use web technology for digital marketing;
- get huge bonus points if you have experience/interest in
- marketing automation,
- headless browsing,
- mobile app development,
- progressive web apps,
- Angular, React, Gatsby, or other JS Frameworks,
- analyzing log files,
- website personalization
- Chrome extension development,
- REST APIs, or
- email marketing
About UpBuildWhat you should know about us is that:
- After four years, we still consider ourselves a startup and are entirely funded by the work we do for our amazing clients;
- our idealistic goal is a pretty simple one: to supplant the old digital marketing agency model by building an alternative that’s better in every way;
- we’re a distributed team and are pretty flexible with work hours;
- in keeping with the above, we’re focused on delivering results, meeting our deadlines, and making our clients’ lives easier/better; we don’t use “hours worked” as a metric for job performance;
- our senior team members (who define and execute strategy and also handle account management) work exclusively on 3 or 4 accounts — that’s a promise to our clients and to our team;
- we literally vote on every sales lead before we write a proposal — if we’re not excited about working for a client, it’s not right to cash their checks
- we’re constantly learning from each other, asking each other for help, and showing each other new and better ways to get things done;
- we’re continually working on exploring and adding new benefits to make your work life better.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary, starting between $60,000 and $70,000 (plus bonuses and benefits)
- Flexible schedule (office hours are 9 AM until 2:30 PM Pacific Monday-Friday, other than that you’re free to get your work done when it works best for you)
- Progressive PTO policy & paid holidays — 24+ days off per year
- 8+ weeks family leave (with plans to increase as we grow)
- Annual Home Office Allowance of $500 to use on your personal workspace
- Ongoing education & training opportunities (e.g., conferences, CodeAcademy, tuition reimbursement)
- Quarterly profit sharing & bonus plan
- 100% Health & Dental/50% for spouses
- 401(k) with matching
- Co-working allowance to spend on whatever outside-the-house working environment works for you, whether that’s a co-working space or coffee at the local coffee shop
- Remote working (i.e., full control of the office thermostat, choice of music, no commuting)
Interested? Apply now!Ready to rock? Apply for the Senior Marketing Strategist position on Workable.
Disclaimer: Remoters posts job listings for the convenience of job seekers. Remoters does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. Remoters explicitly makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. Read Remoters full disclaimer here.