Software Engineer at Sports Reference
|Application Deadline||Salary Range||Job Type|
|September 1st, 2022||From 5,000 US$ - 7,000 US$ per month||Full Time|
|Location Availability||Skills||Years of Experience|
Sports Reference LLC is searching for a Software Engineer to design, build, and test software for our 8 websites. The Engineering team currently has 11 team members consisting of developers, testers, DevOps, and project managers. Sports Reference currently serves a still growing 20m monthly users through our Reference sites and our SaaS business line at Stathead.com.
In this role, you will help design, build, and test complex, high-visibility technical projects for Engineering. You will help us migrate our platform to a serverless architecture capable of supporting several websites and potentially a mobile app. You will also help us maintain our existing websites and architecture.
Goals and Tasks for Your First Year (In rough order of importance)
Must-Reach Goals and Tasks
- Assist our skilled support and operations teams in triaging and resolving production issues
- Produce high-quality results by contributing to projects, such as our migration to Serverless, migrating our front end code stack to a more modern framework, improving our data ingestion pipelines, and potentially building a mobile app (or preparing to build one by creating an API-based integration capable of supporting a mobile app). This work will be guided by more senior Software Engineers
- Write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability and performance
Nice-to-Reach Goals and Tasks
- Help review large projects within Engineering by reviewing technical options, working collaboratively within the Engineering team to find the best solution for Sports Reference
- Help review and implement processes around security and compliance
- Complete projects related to company objectives as time and skills allow
- Continue your ongoing professional development, which we will support
Qualifications and Skills
A qualified candidate will satisfy the following:
- Evidence that you are capable of meeting many of the goals listed above
- Ability and desire to work on a collaborative team
- Willingness to work in the platform as-is, while being part of a multi-year team effort to rebuild several key components of the platform
- Understanding of core Computer Science fundamentals
- Self-directed and capable of working effectively in a highly innovative and fast-paced environment
- Understanding of best practices for the full software development life cycle (SDLC), including coding standards, code review, source control, build, test, deploy, and operations
- Able to write code in at least one programming language
- If you don’t think your application will have evidence that you can meet all of the “nice-to-reach goals and tasks” above but still are interested in the job and otherwise qualify, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Benefits and Perks
Salary range starting at $69,000 for U.S. based employees. We are a remote-first company and determine our pay range for this position based on the market rates for Philadelphia, our home base. The salary offered will be based on your experience and skill level.
For candidates outside of the United States, we will calculate a local market rate based on pay for comparable positions in that market and comparable benefits packages when possible.
Annual bonuses are variable and are tied to a percentage of the company's end of year profits and the employee's time worked and salary earned during the year. In the last three years, they have averaged 15% of annual salary.
Even though we are a small company, Sports Reference has a generous benefits package.
- The total value of our benefits package is up to $30,000.
- We cover full health and dental insurance costs for full-time employees and their dependent children. We cover 70%-80% of plans for an entire family.
- We have a 401k with a match on your contributions up to 4% of your base salary. The 401k has many low cost investing options.
- We pay all premiums for company-sponsored life and long-term disability insurance for all employees.
- We provide up to $7,000/year in continuing education benefits.
- Even if you live in or near Philly, you have the option to work remotely as much as you choose. We generally work a standard workday, but with flexibility to flex hours within that framework.
- Any parent welcoming a new child to their family is entitled to 13 weeks of fully paid leave, and up to an additional 26 weeks at half-time.
- Employees begin with 18 days vacation per year and an additional 8 paid company holidays and accrue sick leave at the rate of one day per month.
- We will generally buy you whatever equipment will make you the most productive.
- We typically will pay for reasonable moving-related expenses related to your acceptance of a position with Sports Reference. Please ask if you have any questions related to this benefit.
- We provide a $50/month remote work stipend to cover the cost of internet access and incidental expenses
- For employees outside of the United States, we will work to provide equivalent benefits or additional compensation.
Interested? Apply now!
You have until September 1st, 2022 to apply.
Hurry up! The job have had 29 applications clicks so far
Not ready to apply? Receive jobs like this in your e-mail. Subscribe to job alerts!
Disclaimer: Remoters posts job listings for the convenience of job seekers. Remoters does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. Remoters explicitly makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. Read Remoters full disclaimer here.
Recommended Similar Software Engineering & Web Development Jobs
|Latest Jobs||Application Deadline|
|Remote C++/Math/Algorithm Developer||September 10th, 2022|
|Remote Manual Quality Assurance Specialist||September 10th, 2022|
|Remote Senior Web Engineer||September 10th, 2022|
|Remote Intermediate+ Full-stack Node.js/React Developer||September 9th, 2022|
|Remote Senior Full-stack JS Developer||September 9th, 2022|