Student Success (Customer Support) in Microverse
Job Published on: October 16th, 2019
Available to applicants based in: Anywhere
Update Nov 19 2019: Submissions are closed now.
About MicroverseMicroverse is a global, distributed school for software developers that doesn't charge students anything until they get hired. We are backed by Y Combinator and other top tier investors from Silicon Valley, and our team works remotely from more than 7 countries. We are global citizens that are passionate about our mission and company values. Being remote-first and fully transparent, we are proud of the amazing remote culture we are building, while also making time for at least a few in-person meetups with team members each year. At Microverse, there are no classes or physical classrooms. Instead, students learn through a very unique approach — by remote pair programming and collaborating with other students in real-time, just as they would with colleagues in a real company. We work with them to learn the skills to become world-class software developers, and don't charge them anything until they get a job. Thanks to a unique peer-to-peer model that replaces teachers with students learning from and with each other, our low cost per student allows us to invest in untapped talent that no one else has access to. We have full-time students in 70+ countries, thousands of applicants per month from ~200 countries, and graduates from Nigeria to Mexico that have increased their salaries by 2-10x after completing the program.
Job DescriptionWe are looking for a Student Success (SS) team member to support our customer experience (working with people with a technical background is a plus!) and multi-cultural awareness to serve as a key support for communication with students. The SS team is responsible for responding to daily questions related to student relationships, motivation, program information, access to student systems, and much more to ensure satisfaction and Program completion for our 100% online student population. The Student Success team is responsible for assisting with the development, implementation, and assessment of processes, services, initiatives, programs and software aimed at empowering students toward successful Program completion and retention. With our student's countless diverse journeys (including the difficulties) the SS team provides a variety of student support services such as problem-solving, motivational support, life coaching, partner communication resolution, early ‘crisis’ intervention, etc. to students from all countries, cultures, religions, family situations, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesDaily Student Communication
- Spend the majority of your day handling inbound and outbound student communication in a timely manner and notifying appropriate staff members to solve student problems through Zendesk.
- Monitor student community chat spaces to provide support when questions arise or proactively identify problem areas.
- Set up, hold and document video conversations with students to 1) help solve problems 2) intervene when student experiences are negative and 3) gather feedback for Microverse.
- Help create and maintain a consistently positive, motivated and understanding environment where students feel comfortable approaching us with their problems and know we will work to solve them.
- Be empathetic to every student no matter their diverse background, and look for cultural insight into the problem to get a better understanding when necessary.
- Stay up to date on all program changes and and improvements and be prepared to answer student questions about them
- Contribute to working strategically to automate support for communication for students including writing support articles for frequently asked questions.
- Work with Student Success Head to update conversation tagging system and identify areas of improvement including efficiencies, scalability and training improvements.
- Coordinate with new initiatives that will increase ticket volume and make sure we have a process in place for responding quickly and thoroughly to new student inquiries.
- Take ownership of ongoing administrative and operational student processes owned by Student Success such as setting up video calls for student teams, organizing Lunch and Learns, and tracking student feedback forms.
- Propose ideas and contribute to measuring and increasing student satisfaction and motivation.
- Organize and implement new and existing motivation initiatives, such as Lunch & Learns, Hackathons, Coffee and Code, Mentorship Program, etc.
- Understand the student journey deeply and advocate for the student in every decision implemented.
- 2 years customer support experience
- High proficiency in written and spoken English
- Efficient, organized and good at prioritizing in an environment with a high volume of daily customer communication
- Active communicator who knows how to work autonomously, proactively, and humbly with little oversight
- Knowledge, experience, interactions, and understanding of the cultural norms and difficulties of individuals in developing countries
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
- Empathetic in every situation presented
- LOVE customer support! You feel fulfilled answering questions of all types to help students every day.
- Are very comfortable on video calls and accustomed to building trust and empathy using this tool
- Have experience working remotely
- Have worked with software developers or Computer Science students before
- Have previous experience in organizations focused on education and technology
- Have lived in different cultures or countries
- Have been called a good listener by many people in your life
- Have prior startup experience
- Have used a customer management tool such as Zendesk
How to Apply
Update Nov 19 2019: Submissions are closed now.
Disclaimer: Remoters posts job listings for the convenience of job seekers. Remoters does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. Remoters explicitly makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. Read Remoters full disclaimer here.