Technical Career Coach in Microverse
Job Published on: September 9th, 2019
Update Nov 19 2019: Submissions are closed now.Microverse is a school that finds the most talented individuals in the world, trains them in software engineering while they work as part of a distributed team and connects them with remote jobs. At Microverse, there are no classes or physical classrooms. Instead, students learn using a very unique approach — by remote pair programming and collaborating with other students in real time, just as they would with colleagues if they were part of a distributed team in a real company. We have full-time students in 50+ countries and 10,000 applicants per month from 200 countries. Among those applicants, we select the top 0.3% and don't charge them anything until they get a job.
Job descriptionIn this role, you will be interacting directly with students as they finish their technical training and start getting ready for the job market. You will have the critical task of making sure that students have everything they need to show employers what they are capable of: resume, LinkedIn profile, portfolio, etc. On top of that, you will help students prepare for technical and behavioral interviews, coordinate mock interviews, design personalized job application plans, and help them negotiate salary offers. As students start applying to jobs, you will conduct weekly coaching sessions to help them navigate the process. As part of this role, you will also be tasked with helping update learning material as part of our curriculum to guide students in the process of accessing the job market. This is an opportunity to shape an early-stage company and be part of a movement that is trying to connect millions of people with global opportunities regardless of where they are.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Stay on top of hiring trends and continuously improve upon Microverse's Career Prep curriculum.
- Review students' online presence and suggest pixel-perfect improvements on their LinkedIn, AngelList and Github profiles, as well as in their resumes and personal portfolios.
- Hold weekly coaching sessions with your assigned students to guide them through the job search journey until they get their first technical job, and subsequently as they move to their 2nd or 3rd job position.
- Coordinate mock interviews between students who are practicing job interviews.
- Track job placement results as students move to the job market.
- Work with our Placements teams to help place students in internships and full time roles.
Experience and Skills Requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable and compelling in public speaking situations (you will be meeting students in video chat sessions).
- Strong time management skills.
- Have a passion for mentoring others and seeing others succeed.
- Flexible with a willingness to experiment and learn from it.
- Data driven and excited about using metrics to drive process improvements.
- Are based in Europe/Americas/Africa (for max. timezone overlap with the rest of the team)
In an ideal world, you...
- Have 2+ years of experience as a software developer, hiring manager for technical roles, or on a Recruiting/HR team (staffing agency/corporate, or a mix of both).
- Have prior general career coaching experience.
- Have provided career coaching or mentoring for software developers, specifically.
- Have created documentation to guide people throughout their job search
- Have experience working remotely
- Have prior startup experience
- Have an extensive technical professional network
- Are based outside the US
- Have experience with the Latin American technical job market
What We Offer
- Opportunity to join a rapidly growing company and shape our marketing’s direction and organization.
- The opportunity to join the whole team at company retreats somewhere around the world once every nine months or so.
- Work alongside a fully distributed team that lives all around the world and is from 7 different countries that believe in our core values:1. We are global citizens 2. We are passionate about our mission 3. We invest in people 4. We are eager learners 5. We are transparent 6. We take ownership of our work 7. We live a harmonious life
How to apply
Update Nov 19 2019: Submissions are closed now.Microverse is an equal opportunity employer and acts in this capacity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, or disability.
Disclaimer: Remoters posts job listings for the convenience of job seekers. Remoters does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. Remoters explicitly makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. Read Remoters full disclaimer here.